I am taking my cue from Aaron Polson and making a list of the small press purchases of the year. It was a worthwhile investment. There is some incredible reading out there that doesn't have Stephen King, Dan Brown, Nicholas Sparks, or Stephanie Meyer on the cover. I did fairly well. Many of the books or magazines I purchased featured works of those in my blogroll. It is great to have such amazing writers in my online circle of friends. So- without further ado- the books I bought over the last year from the small press. (and I have read most of them. Believe it or not.)
1. The Monster Within Idea by R. Thomas Riley (Apex Publications). In the top 5 books I have ever read. Easily.
2. Sand magazine subscription (Strange Publications) I look forward to the new format next year and hope I can take another subscription out.
3. Shroud Magazine (Shroud Publications) I think I took this one out this year, it may have been late last year. Well worth it, even though they have gone quarterly now.
4. Necrotic Tissue subscription (Stygian Publications) I haven't read these cover to cover yet, but I really like what I have read so far.
5. the Sour Aftertaste of Olive Lemon by Cate Gardner (Bucket O'Guts Press) this chapbook was amazing. If Nate offered a subscription on his press I would take it out as well.
6. Jack of All Trades by K.C. Shaw (Ancient Tomes Press) One of the nicest books I have read all year. My wife and I both enjoyed this one.
7. Malpractice (Stygian Publications) I actually received this one as a prize and have only read some of the stories in it. I like it so far.
8. Devil's Food (The Monsters Next Door) This one is gruesome, through and through.
9. Return to Luna (Halley Rilley Press) Some very good science fiction in this antho. If you like sci-fi I can't recommend it enough.
10. Monstrous (Permutated Press) I bought this book for 2 reasons. Aaron Polson and Steve Alton are both in it. It is great if you like the giant creature movies from the 50's, and I do.
11. Phantasy Moste Grotesk by Felicity Dowker (Corpulent Insanity Press) Wow, I don't know if there are any copies left (I believe it was limited to 26 copies) but if there are you should read it.great looking chapbook as well.
12. The Art of Science by Ransom Noble (4RV publishing) this short YA book is very cool and I went to school with the author.
13. Debris by Barry Napier (Library of Horror Press) I haven't read this one yet but I have read many of the stories in it and I don't think anyone would be disappointed in what he has put together. This one is on my early list TBR for next year.
Well, as far as I can tell that is it. I don't know what subscriptions I will be taking out this upcoming year or who in our group will be published next but I am looking forward to it. I knew it was going to be one hell of a year for our little group and I was not disappointed. Good luck to everyone next year. I look forward to breaking the bank buying all of your single titles again next year.
Zombicide Black Plague: STILL not done
7 hours ago