Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Technology

We have a new addition to the technology family in our household. We bought my wife a netbook yesterday. For those of you who are unfamiliar with what a netbook is, it is a very small computer with a smaller keyboard (about 92% of full size) and a smaller monitor (only 7-10 inches) it is made primarily for checking e-mails and surfing the web. They do not have CD or DVD drives although you can attach an external one to it. Sadly, the one we bought has a larger hard drive than the computer I am on right now (80 gig vs 120 gig).

It seems to work great. I spent yesterday afternoon loading the software we like to use on it. Firefox, CCleaner, OpenOffice, her printer. I even loaded her copy of PrintShop on it for fun. It seemed to take it all okay. Kinda cute really.

In between loading stuff I worked on my novella. It is going well. I had the first revelation in the storyline and it should be downhill from here. I managed to get in another 500 words this morning while I was waiting for the boy to wake up. He didn't do it on his own so I had to go wake him. Now it will be thinking of the book until he goes down for a nap. Oh, the joys of parenthood.

Managed to get a rejection yesterday for a story that had been out 127 days. I have since resubmitted it to Tin House magazine. They now accept online submissions so I am looking forward to hearing from them.

5 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

I've always wondered what a NoteBook was (apart from the obvious). :)

Jamie Eyberg said...

They just came out last year and I thought they were cute. Too small for my clunky hands to do much typing on though. It should be a good second computer.

K.C. Shaw said...

I think my eee is about the same size (maybe a bit thicker). They're awfully cute, these tiny computers! I hope she enjoys it!

Fox Lee said...

I want one of those weenie DVD-platers : )

Aaron Polson said...

I'd probably smash the poor thing with my angry typing. Sounds cute, though.