Thursday, June 11, 2009

Where the heck did this week go?

In case you missed it, Thursday is upon us already. My week has thus far been productive an busy and I wouldn't have it any other way. As far as edits go I should be done with this round of edits in another 8 working days. I say working days because my wife has a nice little respite from work starting Saturday and she doesn't have to go back for 5 days. I can't wait. Meanwhile, I don't know how much time will be spent with red pen to paper. (yes, I do use a red pen. Little things like comma's and periods don't get lost on the page.)

This book (novella) isn't as bad as I thought it might be after letting it simmer for awhile. I am doing my fair share of adding to and taking away, but I have to say it is more enjoyable than a full blown re-write.

I also finished my flash piece for the Shroud flash fiction contest #7. I will be curious to see what makes it. After reading the magazine I would have to say I stand a chance although my story doesn't contain a monster or a good scare. It is horrifying, but I don't know if I would classify it as horror. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me. Anyway, it has been submitted.

I don't know a lot today so I will say goodbye for now.

15 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

I've been out of the habit of using a red pen for some time now. It scares the kiddos at school, I guess. I use eye friendly green. At least I like green.

Jamie Eyberg said...

All of my green pens are out of ink, otherwise I like them too.

katey said...

I love green pens too-- I always stock up.

Still, I've just emerged from an editing slog myself, so I wanted to turn up and show my support and sympathy here.

Good luck with the Shroud contest!

Catherine J Gardner said...

I'm convinced my story makes sense only to me... I'm thinking of posting my story on my blog when it doesn't make it and I soooooo hope others do the same. I'd love to see where others took the idea.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Katey- I am almost out of colored pens, next time I am at the store. . .

Cate- I'm game if you are.

Catherine J Gardner said...

YAY!

Carrie Harris said...

I use purple, when I actually print and edit, which isn't very common. If I could find one that is purple AND sparkles, I would be a happy woman indeed. Not particularly mature, but happy.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Carrie- I think they make a purple glitter pen with the gel ink. I think I might have one in my bag o'pens. Check in the children's art section of Target.

Natalie L. Sin said...

I use a highlighter : )

Red is too bright, and I wind up having to take long. My eyes are wonky when it comes to things like that.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Nat- after a while the highlighter blends into the page for me. I can't do that.

BT said...

I guess I'm a total geek - I do all my revision on the computer using track changes.

Occasionally I've been known to do it from hard copy but then I'm old school and use a deep scarlet pen. But that is a very rare day indeed.

How come I didn't know about this Shroud contest thingy?

Carrie - you can definitely get glitter pens in purple. My daughter loves them. Her favourite colour as well.

Jamie Eyberg said...

BT- I'll send you the link about the contest in your e-mail. You only have a couple of hours to go (due Friday)

Jeremy Kelly said...

I finished up my flash piece for shroud as well. I've been writing up a flurry of short shorts lately. Makes me feel like I'm accomplishing things again.

K.C. Shaw said...

Good luck on the Shroud sub! Congrats on finishing it!

Jamie Eyberg said...

Jeremy- flash is good for the soul.

K.C.- There is a lot of competition, good competition, for this market. Still, if you don't try. . .