Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Doing no wrong

I am beginning to wonder if Pixar can make a bad movie. We took the kids to see Toy Story 3 yesterday and it was great. Quite possibly the best in the series. I was thinking about writers who can do no wrong. The only commercial writer who hasn't disappointed me yet (with more than one book out) is J.K. Rowling. Tom Piccerilli is close, but I thought Shadow Season, while a very good book, read a little slow for the genre it was written in.

Of course, Stephen King, a master in his own right has put out some real stinkers over the years and don't get me started on Dean Koontz and John Saul.

What about you? Are there any writers out there who are bulletproof in your estimation?

11 comments:

Jeremy D Brooks said...

Hunter Thompson was very consistent in his vision and voice, even in his essays. For what he was trying to do, he really nailed it every time (although I'm still working my way through his canon).

Jamie Eyberg said...

Jeremy, I have not read much of Mr. Thompson's work so I am not a judge of it. I may have to read more.

Barry Napier said...

If not for "The Sun Also Rises" I'd say Hemmingway. Barker has also never released anything I thought was below par.

Aaron Polson said...

I used to feel that way about Tim O'Brien. Going After Cacciato was amazing. The Things They Carried likewise. But then I tried to read Tomcat in Love, and it just felt sort of "meh". I know he didn't want to be pigeonholed as a "Vietnam writer", but don't go mainstream, dude. Don't do it.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Barry, As far as the classic writers go I think we can include Faulkner in that stable of darn near bulletproof.

Aaron, The Things They Carried was amazing. It was a tough act to follow.

Fox Lee said...

I have big hopes for Joe Hill : )

Danielle Birch said...

I agree with Natalie, having not long finished Horns. Apart from him the only one who comes to mind is Nicci French.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Nat, as do I.

Danielle, that is a name I don't know. I will have to look it up.

Cate Gardner said...

Harlan Coben - thriller writer, written over a dozen books, loved them all.

And I agree with Natalie about Joe Hill.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Cate, darn you. I keep seeing Coben's books in the store and I keep debating about picking them up. Now I have no choice. :)

Katey said...

Gosh, maybe-- Neal Stephenson? The Baroque cycle did get a bit thick, but it was still wholly brilliant. I have Anathem to read next so... let's find out!