Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Rotating characters

I think the reason I am liking this newest WiP I am working on is the number of characters in it. It isn't an overwhelming number but they each have their own storylines that link together, for better and worse. I have never tried anything quite like this and I am really enjoying the process. Usually I can have a story rotate around 2 or maybe three characters and call it good. This one is really focused on 4 characters and a cast of many more. I will be curious to see how it all ends up for them and if it will be readable when I am done. I don't even have a good working title for this story yet.

As it stands at the end of this writing day I am up to 12,845 words in this manuscript. Time to go make an Alfredo sauce with shrimp for dinner and separate the children before I give up and let them use knives to settle it for good. I got my bets on the girl. She has longer arms.

13 comments:

Mary Rajotte said...

Always bet on the girl - girls rule!

Aaron Polson said...

Oooo...I haven't even thought of using knives yet. Dinner sounds yummy. Care package?

Please?

Danielle Birch said...

I think it makes everything a little more bearable when you're happy with the characters.

K.C. Shaw said...

I usually focus on one character, but I've got a WIP that switches between two and I find it really interesting to write.

Maybe you could give the kids frozen shrimp to fling at each other. Less damaging to them, and once the shrimp thaw you can eat them. The shrimp, not the kids.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Mary, she has about 4 years on the little guy. Not really a fair fight, yet.

Aaron, It doesn't travel well. Sorry.

Danielle, I think so too. Like your new picture. Is that your eye or an eye double?

K.C., Kids are best when barbecued anyway.

Fox Lee said...

My first (finished) novel had an assload of characters. It was fun, but I was also happy to get more intimate with the boys in my current WIP.

Oh...that sounds wrong.

Cate Gardner said...

I love using multiple characters, they always help bump up my word count.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Cate, and this is just bumping right along. I hit 14K this morning. :)

Jamie Eyberg said...

Nat, I know what you were trying to say. I think. I hope.

Katey said...

I had one with four characters like that, and I really had a good time with it. Started to feel like I was going crazier than usual near the end, but it was fun all the same.

Sounds awesome, keep us updated!

Carrie Harris said...

I think maybe you could use that knife fight as inspiration for the multi-character WIP. Just sayin.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Katey, I can see how that could happen. Lucky for me I am going to start killing main characters off pretty soon. :)

Carrie, I like the way you think.

Danielle Birch said...

Tis my eye :)