Friday, November 7, 2008

Last post before the weekend starts-

Unless something terrific or horridly tragic happens this weekend you won't hear from me until at least Monday. Now, before you go wailing 'how could he do this to us! Why me!' in the night, or day depending on where you are at in the world, let me explain. My wife doesn't work this weekend. When she is home my writing,inevitably, takes a turn for the worse-i.e. I don't do any writing at all, unless my boy gets me up at two in the morning and I am not tired for some reason when he goes back to sleep.

Okay, now that I have appropriately reassured you that I will, indeed, be back sometime early next week.
Now, lets get down to business. NaNo report: going well, I have about 400 words until I hit the 15,000 word mark. Can't complain about this progress. I am well ahead of schedule. I am liking the story as well. My characters are just getting into the meat of the plot. The action is about ready to really ramp up. (big explosions and close calls)

Been a slow week, heck it has just been slow for correspondence from editors lately. At least the markets I have shown interest in. I am hoping this is a good sign. something Brian Keene said on his web site the other day struck me. 'If you want to be a professional writer you need to submit to professional markets.' sounds good to me but also harder than it sounds. There are only so many professional markets.

Anyway, here is to only good news to editors and much productivity on whatever project you happen to be working on this weekend and I will talk at you all later.

8 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Go for the gold, I say. I've submitted to Weird Takes three times : )

Jamie Eyberg said...

I've done the tales twice. Most of my literary stories always start at the top (Crazyhorse)and work their way down (got one at Ploughshares as we type)

Keene said...

I agree. It is harder than it sounds. But have faith. I know a trick...

:>)

We'll get into that next week, hopefully (or the week after next).

K.C. Shaw said...

Have a good weekend! And hopefully all those editors will see the light and send you lots of acceptances soon. :)

Jamie Eyberg said...

K.C.- LOL

Brian- unless it is bribery, the only thing I know that works is writing better than everyone else.

Cate Gardner said...

Ooh, I like that Keene quote. I'll continue ignoring it, but I really like it.

Enjoy your weekend.

BT said...

I look forward to the trick on this Brian.

I just posted a comment to Brian's post where I don't agree - sort of.

The problem was started with the title. If it was going to be a post on aspiring writers then the advice shouldn't be about submitting only to professional markets.

Saying that pro advise is received from pro markets is also a stretch. Being the most sort after markets, they tend to be smowed under with subs and are therefore more likely to send back form rejections.

Writers should be paid for their work - agreed. Writers will get better paid, as they get better. Writers should submit to pro markets but they shouldn't disregard other paying markets.

That's my two cents for what it's worth...

Carrie Harris said...

Hope you had a nice weekend off!