Monday, November 24, 2008

the sky has dandruff

we got our first snow on Saturday. The first snow that I had to get a shovel for anyway. It pretty much all melted away by Sunday afternoon but we still have a couple of odd patches floating around on the north side of the house and garage.

I can tell I am getting old. My fingers are worn to the nerves from handling shingles in freezing temperatures. Tiny bits of fiberglass are embedded throughout my soft writer's hands. They aren't used to doing much manual labor anymore. (I used to live for shingling houses. I loved to do it and I was good at it. Now not so much.) Thank god I have a roofing nailer yet. I really would have been hurting if I had to swing a hammer all day.

Of coarse I didn't get anything done with NaNo this weekend, but I have managed to get a couple thousand words written this morning already and plan on doing the same this afternoon. I still plan on being done by Wednesday.

On a happy note. A story of mine, Coffin Nails, that I started sending out to markets last November (and has undergone several re-writes in the process) has been picked up by Night to Dawn for publication in their Fall 2009 issue. Not a huge market but I think that the readers will enjoy it.

I hear my boy rattling around in his bed and I think I can get another hundred or so words in before he thinks he wants out. Later.

8 comments:

Aaron Polson said...

WHOOT! Nice job on the sale. I like the title..."Coffin Nails"...eek!

Stay warm, when you can.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I think the title and the idea were the only things I salvaged from the story through the re-writes

K.C. Shaw said...

Congrats on the story sale! And on the snow. We've got rain here, which we need, but snow is so much more fun.

Fox Lee said...

Cool story sale , I've been looking at that market recently : )

Rob Brooks said...

Congrats on the sale. That's a cool title. It makes my imagination run with possiblities of what it could mean.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Rob, too bad you will have to wait a year to read it, just like everyone else. (Although for some reason my wife gets advance copies.) :)

Carrie Harris said...

Yay for the acceptance! And boo for the shoveling. My car didn't start this morning, so after slogging through the slush I'm not so keen on wintery weather.

BT said...

Late to the party but the congratulations on the sale is still heartfelt.